Saturday, August 22, 2009

Latest Project

Years ago, Susan and I made me a chenille blanket shaped like the Texas Flag. Since then, we made her one and then Rebecca joined in and made one as well. They are very fun! I decided to modify the pattern just a little bit. I made the Texas Flag as my base layer, then chenilled the other side. This change hides the seams of the flag better than the original design.
I had started this project a few years ago with the intent of giving it to Jeff's younger brother Mike for a Christmas present. I started it and never finished it because I started thinking that a young single guy isn't really going to appreciate all the time and work that went into it. I would take it out every so often and stitch a few more lines, but eventualy put it away again knowing that I wouldn't be giving it to Mike any time soon.
This past week I took it out again, but this time I finished it! I can now give it to a married Mike! This was our wedding gift to Mike & Jen. Jen is forever cold (even in hot, humid Texas!) and has made a great move from Utah to Texas. It couldn't be a more perfect gift for them!
The reactions were classic. Mike said, "Oh cool a blanket that has the Texas flag." Jen said, "Oh wow!!! How did you do it? That was a lot of work! I love it!" and gave me a hug. Just another example of how boys and girls see the same thing in different ways!








6 comments:

Todd and Amyjoy said...

Love that blanket! So cool! I would love to see a closeup of the star. Really neat!
I am not much of a seamstress but I try once in a while, with a friend sitting RIGHT beside me and telling me exactly what to do. I did teach myself how to hem pants into shorts this summer and I got all of Annika's patches sewn on her Girl Scout vest. That is something right?

Mike/Jen/bruster said...

I love the blanket!!!!! You are quit the seamstress. Thanks for taking the time to help me sew the broncos blanket.

We had a fabulous weekend. Thanks again

Allison said...

The blanket really turned out sooo cute! What a perfect welcome to Texas.

Jeff n Jill said...

The star is just a layer of cream flannel. Nothing special. I did a zigzag stitch around it to hide any rough edges.

Mike/Jen/bruster said...

I haven't fallen in hours!!! I love you guys so much. I miss you!! I am already excited to see you again.

Jeff n Jill said...

What does that say about you Jen when you have to make that disclaimer - "I haven't fallen for hours." Only hours? not days, weeks, months? :)