Friday, September 18, 2009

Doctor's Visit

So here is my delima, I want to have a "normal" get pregnant experience or as close to "normal" as possible.  Everyone else in the world gets to get pregnant, wait (in theory) until the first trimester is done and announce to the rest of the world in some crazy unique way that they are prengant.  I have such wonderful caring family and friends who are constantly asking - and I really don't mind...sorta - what is going on with us in the fertility department, that it is hard to keep it a secret.  I would have to lie to their face and say we are doing nothing and then after the first trimester say "surprise I am pregnant & oh by the way, I have been lying to you this whole time...yeah me!"  I just can't do it.  I have to accept the fact that I am not "normal"!  I love the prayers and the support of everyone, so I have decided that I would "blog" my appointments.  This way, if someone really wants to know what is going on, it will be here.  No secrets, no lies.  It will also save my voice from having to tell umpteen number of people all the specifics - it is hard to know who really cares and who is just asking to be nice or how much detail they really care to know for that matter.

That being said, please still ask me questions, about my own fertility, about general fertility questions, about whatever.  I really don't mind.  I don't know if my advice will work though - I would trust my own advice more if I actually had been successful at any of the umpteen ways to get pregant....but anyways, on to the good stuff:

Everything really started for us back in July. I knew that the fees for the embryo storage would be due to the old place on August 1st, we weren't happy with the old place, and we needed to find a new place. I looked at the calendar and called the new doc - Dr. X - and scheduled the appointment. They told me where to find the new patient forms to fill out and return to their office and they told me to have my old doc send over my file. So I had about 2 months to do this...and when do you think I did it? That's right - the day before. On my defense, while I was in Utah, I did try to contact Parkland to have them send a form for me to sign to release my medical records over to the new place - they never did. So Tuesday I went in the office with Jeff to fill out all the new patient forms and to have Jeff's office put in a request for my records - this way I could bring them with me. Jeff's office staff was wonderful - they helped me put the request in. DeeDee even called and harrassed them to make sure we had my records before the end of the day. Parkland apparently called and started complaining about having to fax everything over - they said it was a lot, so Jeff & I decided that the most important things would be the last 2 embryo transfers - we gave them a 2 year window to fax over to us. So, 113 pages later we had those 2 years. EEEK! That is only 2 of the 10 years of our treatments! DeeDee kept having to field phone calls - people were complaining because the fax machine was busy for a long time. Parkland sent the entire file by mail. I don't know if their is a box big enough for my medical record....


So, Wednesdy, September 16th, Jeff & I had our first doctor's visit with the new fertility doc.  Jeff was wonderful - he rearranged his morning schedule so that he could be there with me.  I really appreciate him doing that.  It wasn's something I had asked him to do.  I told him when the appointment was, and knowing that he is getting rather busy at work, and now that the group has hired a new doctor to work at Forney with him, he is under a little more stress - direct competition - I didn't expect him to be able to come.  I am glad he did - I have a tendency to shut down sometimes when someone jumps to conclusions without knowing all the facts.  Unfortunately I did shut down a little at the doctor's office.  If I had been alone, I probably would've come home and told Jeff that we were switching docs.  With Jeff there, I was able to snap back a little, and give the new doc a little more patients (get it? patients? hehehe) and allow him to catch up to our 10 years of personal infertility experience.

The doctor's visit:  It was very typical for us at least - he sat behind his desk, took one look at the records we gave him, and then he asked us to sum it all up for him! :)  As we sat there telling him all the different things we have been through, he just kept looking at us and asking "are you sure there isn't anything wrong with you?  this doesn't make sense...you should be pregnant by now."  He decided that he was going to figure out what was wrong....at this point you kinda have to humor them and let them figure out that I have "unexplained infertility".  It is very hard for some people to not have a "reason".  I have learned long ago not to worry about the "reason" and just have faith in the Lord that their is a "reason" for this trial and be ok with not knowing what it is now.  Jeff has learned a lot that has helped him in his practice - I am grateful for that.  He has a compassion and an understanding that I think his patients who struggle with infertility can see and they love him for it.  He uses me in a lot of examples - so much for HIPPA - but that is ok - if my struggles can help others then so be it.  Anyways, back to the doctor's appointment.  He did do some blood test, because he knew that I had a thyroid problem or an insulin resistence problem - BUT, that is not the case.  Everything came back normal.  Yeah! At least I am normal in one aspect of my life!  I guess it is back to the drawing board for this guy.  The thing is about me now is that it really doesn't matter if I ovulate or not, or if this or if that - I have 2 frozen babies....just get my uterus ready and stick them in!  So that is what we are going to be doing.  We have to wait until my next cycle begins - just to insure that for some odd reason that I am not actually pregnant right now.  Wouldn't that be funny!  Going through all of this and then spontaneously getting pregnant on my own...I know it can happen - a friend of mine's 3rd cousin's brother's aunt on his father's side had that happen to them you know.....

So for now, I guess we wait until my next period and then I get to go on birth control....hmmm how ironic....

No comments: