Sunday, May 3, 2009

It's a guy thing!

Jeff found a turtle in our backyard the other day. There is a family in our ward who has a turtle/frog pond. Anytime we find a turtle/frog, we call them up and Patrick comes to our house to pick it up. So Jeff found the turtle and put it in a gladware container to keep for Patrick until he could come pick it up. Well, we have a little family living with us temporarily - they are an LDS family - the oldest girl, LeAndra goes to my school. Her mom died a few weeks ago leaving behind her and her little sister, Paris. They can't live with their stepdad, and they really wanted to finish the last few weeks of school at their school. Their grandmother has been either driving them back and forth from Grand Prairie (where they will eventually will live with their aunt) or getting a motel room or sleeping on some other member's couch for a night. It just wasn't a very stable situation - especially after just losing your mom to stomach cancer. Well, Jeff & I decided to offer them a place to stay for a few weeks until school was out. So what does this have to do with a turtle??? Paris saw the turtle and fell in love! She asked Jeff if she could keep it - bought turtle food for it and everything. This past week they haven't been here much - they have been staying in Grand Prairie with their aunt working on a program for YW camp fundraiser. (I know..kinda defeats the purpose of us giving them a place to stay if the don't end up staying here...) So she leaves the turtle here. We look after it as best we can...but....I know, it is horrible...the turtle died. So I told Jeff that he needed to get rid of it before they come back. So he threw the turtle away. As I was cleaning the kitchen, I noticed a gladware container in the sink. So I ask Jeff what he did with the container the turtle was in...you know...dead....He said, "I put it in the sink after I threw the turtle away." GROSS!!!! Yes, I did grab it out of the sink and throw it away!

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

That's gross! Next time we visit I will bring our own disposable dishware :)

amy said...

Jeffery! You know he is a guy, but like a doctor guy, you would think he, of all people, would know about yucky germy things. Glad to know someone is "taking care" of hime :).

What happened to the little girls when she found out the turtle died?

Jeff n Jill said...

They have not come home yet...I expect them tomorrow, but we will see. The whole situation is turning weird. Definately not something we signed up for.

Mom-Mom said...

Oh, now I read the story! So you are a turtle and lonely children lover. That's really wonderful of you. Can't wait for the Hawaii trip. I am glad you are back safe and happy if not rested.