I do mean that literally too! Thursday was a whirlwind of activity!!!
It started with saying goodbye (maybe) to the kids and getting a picture.
I think they were kinda shocked about me leaving. I had been there so long (9 weeks) that they had gotten use to seeing me around all the time. The room I was staying in was no longer "Daniel's room" it was now "Aunt Jill's room". I also usually give them a heads-up - "I will be leaving in ____ # of days." This was more like - "Ok, I'm leaving, maybe, or maybe tomorrow depending on if the insurance company gets their act together."
After dropping Josh off at school, I arrived at the hospital with my bags packed and in the car. I still didn't really know what time or day for that matter and wanted to be prepared. I took care of Sydney all morning long, and ran for a quick lunch down in the cafeteria. While I was gone, the air ambulance called the NICU - we were leaving at 4pm. I grabbed my suitcase and ran upstairs to wait. One of the nurses asked if I was going to be dressing Sydney for the flight. I didn't know how to respond....she has never worn clothes before. I, of course, didn't have any clothes washed - so I ran back to Aaron & Rebecca's to wash a little outfit. Aaron came home from work early so Rebecca and I ran up to the hospital to dress her for her big trip and to see Daddy again! Rebecca was kind enough to take pictures of everything for me. I kept putting the camera away, and Rebecca would say, "Don't you want a picture of .... " and I would of course respond, "Oh yeah, that is a great idea." Take it out snap a few pictures before trying to put it away again where Rebecca was kind enough to remind me again. This only took me 4 times to just realize that I needed to keep the camera out and on at all times to capture it all! (I am going to use the excuse that I was still in a bit of a daze about going to Dallas - that is why I had to be reminded all the time!)
Here is her first outfit:
We were ready just in time...the team got there and they were ready to load her up. Here is her first "chariot" ride:
The transport team getting her out of her old bed into her new 'ride'...
A final kiss from Aunt Rebecca...
Tucking Sydney into her new bed for the trip..
She is the small bundle in this big contraption!
Both Sydney's and my first (and hopefully 2nd the the last) ambulance ride - I rode up front.
Here first Air- O - Plane ride
(yes, that is a learjet!)
Loading her up:
Tight quarters
This was a bare bones jet. It didn't even have a heater and boy did it get cold!!
We flew above the clouds
Potty break
Stretching her legs at 45,000 feet
We made it! - Home Sweet Home!
Our last ambulance ride ever...hopefully!
Her new bed
Her new room - This is a bit different than at McKay-Dee - there they have 8 beds in a room.
Here they have 2 beds to a room with 2 rooms sharing a common nurse area.
Her bed is by the window. She has a bit different view than in Utah. Instead of mountains, it is buildings. It will be intresting to see how same/different the two NICUs are.
It is good to be home! (my home away from my Utah-home!)






No comments:
Post a Comment