Friday, October 29, 2010

Bottles are for Babies!

Yesterday I had some friends over for a jewelry making get together at my house.  Thursdays just happen to be Jeff's half days at work too.  It was a perfect opportunity for Jeff,  he came home after running a few errands and swooped Sydney away to have some "Daddy/Daughter" time.  After about an hour, Sydney starts crying and Jeff asked if it was about feeding time?  I made her a bottle and Jeff went to feed her.  She still kept crying, and crying, and crying so I went in the room to see if I could help.  He said that he just didn't understand - he held her this way, that way, and the other and she would arch her back and refuse the bottle.  I picked her up and tucked her in my arms and proceeded to give her the bottle - she refused and started crying again.  Diaper had been changed so it isn't that - looking at the clock, it is time for her to eat....so I went into the kitchen grabbed the bowl and spoon, the mixed the "squash", rice cereal, and extra calorie formula together, plopped her in the bouncer and started feeding her - she smiled and ate the whole bowl!  She then cuddled up with binky and blanket and went to sleep. 

That night, we fed her a bottle and then about 1 1/2 hrs later we fed her the rest of the squash.  She went to sleep at 10pm and didn't wake up until 5am.  Jeff being the wonderful husband that he is got up with her this morning and fed her her bottle.  Except that the milk kept flowing out of her mouth.  We thought that the nipple might be bad on the bottle and it was flowing too quickly.  We changed it and we got the same results.  Then we realized...she was refusing to swallow!  So at 5:20 am I got up grabbed some sweet potatoes, cereal, and formula and made her a bowl of "food".  She ate about 1/2 the bowl, refused to eat anymore, but was crying, then drank the bottle, burped, and finished off the food. Then, curled up with binky and blanket and as I am typing at 9:40am is still sound asleep!

Where did I get such a 'determined' child?!?!?!  (determined if you don't know is 'Southern' for stubborn!)

We are flying to Colorado for a quick trip this weekend - Jeff is going to learn about a new product to do a bladder lift on Saturday morning and then we are driving up to Loveland to visit with his sister, Wendy, & her family for the rest of the weekend.  This new development in eating is going to make flying very interesting!

I love her and am having so much fun seeing her personality blossom!  She is a fun, happy baby! (who in a few weeks will be 6 months old!!!!! aaaahhhhh!!!!)

2 comments:

amy said...

So Sydeny just must have some Nelson in her, because tht is exactly like Jenna and Alexa. They were (Alexa still is) the worst eaters! Jenna actually refused to eat her bottle one day for 12 hours, and it was totally weird because she would drink a bottle as long as it didn't have milk in it (I gave her pedialite). Alexa half of time only drinks a half of her bottle. Looks like Sydney wants to join the club :). Have fun in Colorado

Mom-Mom said...

WOW you have been working hard on your blog. I just realized I have missed several posts. What cute pictures. I especially like the eating video. I can't wait for your Colorado pictures. She is growing fast now. I can't believe that she is almost 6 mo. What a blessing she is to all of us. Thanks Jeff and Jill for giving us Sydney.