Wednesday, January 27, 2010

It's a .....

GIRL!!!!

I went to the MFM this morning.  I was going to meet Jeff there.  The appointment was for 9:45am.  Jeff had surgery this morning that started at 7am and it was going to take a couple of hours.  9:45 was going to be a perfect time for him to come and see the ultrasound.  At 9:30 I text him, then I call him, then I page him.  I got a call back from a number I knew was the other hospital. 

I hear, "Hi, this is Nurse X and I am calling on behalf of Dr. Nelson." 
I said, "Well this is his wife, is he still in surgery?" 
"Yes.  He said you should probably start without him.  He will be there shortly."

So I went in and after explaining to everyone how "Yes, I will be 36 when I give birth, by the baby's age I will be 31." whew!  They needed that info for the transnucal - this is a test where they look at a little flap of skin on the back of the baby's neck and measure the thickness combined with the age of the mother and a finger prick to determine the likelihood of downs syndrom, trisimone? 13 and 18. (3 genetic diseases).  While that IS important, that is not why I was there....show me the "saddle view" please!

He looked and said, "Do you know what your having?"  I said, "A girl?"  He asked, "Did you cheat and look?" - smiling.  I told him that that was what Jeff thought, so I said it.

He then proceeded to make his disclaimer statements to me.  He said, "At 14 weeks I can tell you exactly what you are having and I will not be wrong.  I have been wrong once, I told a girl at 11 weeks what she was having and then on a visit at week 15 realized I was wrong."  He then continued with "You are 13 weeks and I have no doubt that you are having a Girl."

After I had left the office, I paged Jeff again, and the nice nurse called me back.  I asked her to ask Jeff if he wanted me to tell him or if he wanted to see the dvd of the ultrasound.  He thought about it for a moment and said to go ahead and tell him.  I told the nurse it was a girl.  She then said to Jeff, "Dr. Nelson, I know what your having now and you don't...maybe I need to hold this over your head for a little while."  I could hear lots of laughing in the background, then she said, "It's a girl."  I could hear a lot of whooping and hollaring.  Of course Jeff saying, "I knew it."

I met him outside the hospital by his car around 11:30 (it was a nasty surgery that lasted 4 hrs instead of 2).  He just shook his head and said, "Now I really am going to be surrounded by women!"  He did leave me with a chore.  I now need to look for bedding and get paint and everything ready so he can get the nursery together. 

I am now done with my first trimester. I have about 6 months left.  Seems like just yesterday it was New Year's day and I was thinking about the fact that I had 7 months left.  This month has flown by!  It is now time for shopping! :)

8 comments:

Todd and Amyjoy said...

YEAH! I am so happy for you! So very happy! AND for the record, I was right too! :)

Lexi said...

Whoooo hooooo! :-)

I guessed a girl on your poll too. I didn't tell anyone last night at Bunco what I thought though. I didn't want to be wrong!

Girls really are a lot of fun to shop for! Jeff is going to be smitten with that little girl. She's going to have him wrapped around her little finger! Oh what fun.

And I love that you changed the background to hand and footprints. So cute.

Have fun shopping!!!

bamatamb said...

Yay!!! A little girl...that's fabulous! And I love your new blog background! Congrats!

Allison said...

Hooray!! Your baby girl is going to be so, so cute. I will help paint if you'll let me go looking at girl baby stuff with you (it's been so long!).

p.s. my word verification is "wigboobi." :D

Rebecca said...

Congratulations!! I am so jealous!! Oh well I guess I know what I am doing when it comes to boys. How exciting. Do you guys already have a name picked out? Also if you still want me to--don't feel pressured--I can do a mural for your nursery, but only if you want me to. To be honest I don't care one way or another. Congratulations again on your sweet little girl. They don't happen too often in our family ;).

amy said...

yay, Alexa has a playmate! I am so thrilled for you guys. Having a girl is so fun! The girl stuff is so much cuter than the boy stuff. The only problems for me is wanting to buy too much! Cangrats!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maria Grover said...

How wonderful! Girls are great. Congratulations!!!

amanda said...

Oh, Jill! Just reading your post made me feel so happy! I know you are going to be a wonderful mother to your little girl and she's going to be a blessing to your family. All I can is to cherish each minute :) Congratulations again!!